Colin’s expertise lies in understanding the planning and development process and an ability to provide design solutions which fulfil the aims of both the client and the local authority. His strengths are communication and presentation.
After completing a degree in Architecture at the University of Greenwich in 1994 Colin joined Robert Turley Associates as an Urban Designer/ Assistant Planner. Whilst working, Colin undertook a part time Diploma in Urban Planning at Oxford Brookes leading him to gain Membership of the RTPI in 1999. Colin has also worked for NHS Estates and RPS in London providing planning and urban design consultancy advice. In 2002 Colin joined Savills and established a strong urban design and landscape team operating nationally from the Southampton office. In January 2011 Colin set up Richard Urban Design to provide an independent urban design and masterplanning consultancy for his clients.
Colin’s experience includes:
- Rubery Hill, Birmingham – Masterplan and outline planning application for circa 150 units on former Hospital site
- Featherstone, (BAE Systems & Taylor Woodrow) – Masterplan for a new major urban extension in the midlands including residential, education, employment, commercial, retail uses, park and ride with a new station
- Chipping Norton Hospital, Oxfordshire– Development brief for disposal of existing healthcare site
- Milton Keynes, (English Partnerships) – Masterplan, design briefs and design coding for a new hamlet as part of a term appointment for planning and urban design consultancy
- Dartford, (SEEDA) – Feasibility testing and masterplan for regeneration of key site next to the town centre.
- Luton, (Legal & General) – Masterplan for mixed use development on the edge of Luton including new stadium, retail, employment, and park and ride
- Swindon, (Knight Green Estates) – Production of design guidance for mixed use development in front of the existing Motorola building in Swindon
- Poole, Dorset, (Bellwinch Homes) – Urban design strategy for a mixed use scheme including new station, hotel, residential, employment and leisure uses
- Wokingham (Crest Nicholson, Bovis, Taylor Wimpey, Gleeson) – Masterplan for 2,500 dwelling extension to Wokingham
- Seabrook Orchards, Exeter – Masterplan for outline planning application for sustainable new community including 800 new dwellings, school, local centre and recreational uses